Monday, March 23, 2009

Jean Squares for a Bed or Picnic Blanket.

I think the most common item made from old jeans is blankets. I'm just going to start with a few "time savers" and "space savers" for those who are serious about doing several projects with the pile of old jeans you've been saving.

First of all, there are simple and complicated ways to do many things. Jeans are no different. If you're new to sewing, you'll want to stick to the simple. For more advanced you'll see my photo is a quilt make of strips, then small blocks and then larger blocks. Don't feel overwhelmed.. do what suits your level of commitment.

How do I get started?
  • You're going to need to cut your jeans into squares. I prefer to have two standard sizes. You 'll note that 4 of the small ones become approx. the same size as one of the large ones, this makes alot more patterns possible.
  • I sit and cut small and large squares one evening while watching TV, so I can get rid of the bits I don't want and it'll take up less room.
  • plastic quilters squares are available, this makes sizing easier since they will all be uniform.
  • Nothing can replace good tools: rotary cutter, mat, a new blade and a straight edge or template.



When 4 of the smaller sizes are sewn together they then can become equal to 1 of the larger, making it possible to have 1 large on the back of 4 smalls or variations on that theme.

If you precut these sizes you will need to lay the legs out flat so that you can cut across the seam to use as much of the leg as possible.

Rent a movie, hire a friend, make some tea and start cutting. Have fun with it and you'll soon be ready for the next step.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear ideas, comments and even might be able to answer a question you may have.